Thursday 5 January 2017

Delay lock screen display sleep time in Windows 10

Problem:

In Windows 10, how do I prevent my displays from turning off shortly after locking my screen?

Power savings nor display life are an issue for my situation.

Reason: I have an external dock that causes all my windows to move to my primary display after the displays are turned off.

Cautions:

This how-to assumes you are comfortable with editing the registry. Serious damage can be done if you make a mistake!

Workaround:

  1. enable "Console lock display off timeout" in the Advanced Power Settings via the registry:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99\8EC4B3A5-6868-48c2-BE75-4F3044BE88A7
    • set "Attributes (type DWORD)" to 2
    • (to hide, set Attributes back to 1)
  2. open advanced power options (or close then reopen, if it was already open before the registry change)
  3. change timeout to desired value (example screenshot below):

Notes:

  • This was tested to work in Windows 10 Pro.
  • Changing this setting is strongly discouraged in situations where power saving or monitor life are important.
  • This only works for lock screens while a user is signed in.

References:

No comments:

Post a Comment