Problem:I would like to run gpsfeed+ in Lubuntu 16.04.
I am running Lubuntu in VirtualBox. I want to output to guest COM1, and send this feed to a physical serial port on COM6 on my host machine.
Solution:To run first time:
- download the gpsfeed+.tcl script
- open terminal
- install "wish" (in terminal: sudo apt-get install tk)
- install "libudp-tcl" (in terminal: sudo apt-get install libudp-tcl)
- (in terminal, navigate to folder where gpsfeed+.tcl script is)
- run gpsfeed+.tcl script (in terminal: wish gpsfeed+.tcl)
To output to COM1 in Lubuntu VirtualBox guest:
- open VirtualBox settings for your guest machine
- navigate to "serial ports" and enable COM1
- to send the guest COM1 to a host serial port, configure port mode to send to host (for instance, to pipe to COM6 on a Windows host, use the settings in the screenshot below)
- in gpsfeed+: go to Connection->Serial/IP, and set Port to "/dev/ttyS0" (see this stack exchange question on how to find your serial ports in Linux)
- if all works then you should see the NMEA sentences being sent to your serial port after starting the simulation in gpsfeed+