My BB10 BlackBerry device won't back up using BlackBerry Link in OS X El Capitan. The USB connection keeps dropping. USB is fine with all of my other devices.
- Make sure BlackBerry Link is installed, and your Mac has been restarted
- Make sure your BlackBerry is plugged into your Mac via USB
- Navigate to Apple Logo (top right) -> System Preferences -> Network
- At the bottom of the list on the left, click the plus button + (this will add a network interface)
- In the "Interface" drop down, note any BlackBerry interfaces that haven't already been added to the list (in the case of this machine, it was "BlackBerry (en4)")
- Add the BlackBerry interface, and then hit "Apply"
- Open BlackBerry Link, it might ask for your device password and then connect properly
- If successful, operations such as backup will now work without dropping
This was verified to work using OS X 10.11.2 (El Capitan), a BlackBerry Passport, and BlackBerry Link 1.2.2 (build 32). Your results may vary.
Some operations, such as syncing photos, might not work (i.e. iPhotos has now been replaced by Photos, and syncing photos requires iPhoto; other changes apply).
Additionally, the above steps worked on a machine with a fresh install of BlackBerry Link, and without BlackBerry Blend installed. If the above steps work or do not work with both software installed, please follow the links in the references section for more information.